Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A First at the Second Time of Asking


I first went to university in 1996. It didn’t go well. Many games of pooh sticks have been played, yeah?
So anyway, I started again 10 years later in the most low falutin’ of ways. Yep, I traded in some supermarket loyalty vouchers for an online academic course. 
And after six years, five courses, last minute credit transfers, some desperate grant requests and essay extensions, I come to say farewell, it's been a blast, thank you and goodnight Open University.
Now I emerge, older, more cleverer, and relatively unscathed, with a First Class Honours BA degree in Literature. Cor blimey! eh reader?
I owe an awful lot to the OU. The lovely (and I really, genuinely, mean lovely) tutors I was fortunate to have, coupled with the accessibility and anonymity of the online courses have rebuilt my confidence as a student, as a learner.
The courses I have studied have given me a terrific new opportunity, I wouldn’t be blogging on this website if I hadn’t realised, hadn't learned, that actually, you know, I really can write.
As such, come September, I'm off to Cardiff University to take a Taught MA in Creative Writing.
I had an interview at Cardiff back in May, and was offered a conditional place shortly after. I was so shocked to be accepted (it’s a very small course in terms of student numbers), and then spent so long post-offer waiting to confirm my place it all seems a little surreal at the moment.
I’m trying to acclimatise myself by flicking around the Cardiff website, but it feels like I'm cheating on the OU. So I pop back to my alma mater from time-to-time, mainly to argue on the student forums about how and when to use commas.
New adventures afoot – not only this, but I have a slightly new job, and my wife is expecting baby #2 this winter – and in the meantime I’ve taken up running. I know, right? Me, running? Hah!
So thank you, The OU. You changed my life. Ta. I’ll see you for gowns and mortarboards and a cheeky snifter next year sometime.
And bore da Caerdydd ;)
Finally, massive thanks to my wife, the OU widow as she was, and to all the awesome people I met and befriended along the way.
Love,
Jamie Woods BA (Hons) Lit (Open) :)

2 comments:

  1. Well done (again)! I don't think you need an MA, not because I think they're worthless - far from it - but because I think your writing is amazing. Good luck at Cardiff, I much prefer the 'real life' uni to a home study one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I found your blog a long time ago when I read a piece of yours in The First Line, I think it was. I agree with the previous poster, your writing is amazing. I wish there was more of it here to read *hint* *hint*.

    ReplyDelete