Saturday, July 17, 2010

ALT1977


This blog is a tribute to the best thing I've seen today. Bearing in mind I went to Plantasia and saw some monkeys and iguanas and pirahanas and snakes, that says a lot. I also went to Toys'r'Us and saw Star Wars toys too, and yet this wins. My kid spent most of his time wandering around with a turtle back-pack / reins, but still this is a bit better (maybe not, actually).

There is an artist called Alex Varanese. He has reinvented 2010 technology - the MP3 player, Laptop, mobile phone and portable games console - and resold them to a 1977 audience. As a massive fan of the Taschen collections of adverts, POP! art and 1977 in general, I can't get enough of the LCD displays and the wood panelling which encases each item.

Obviously (sadly) they aren't physical products, only seventies-styled redesigns and advertisements. But as someone who loves a bit of retro teak styling, I really wish they were actual purchasable consumer goods. Because of course, stuff made back then always lasted longer.


Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment